Here is a recipe for cheese scones that I use when I do baking with my daughter. It is simple to follow and keeps my 3 and a half year old daughter entertained. Here are some I made earlier today with her:
- 3 cups of plain flour
- 6 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 75 grams of butter
- 3/4 cup of grated cheese
- Around 1-1.5 cups of milk
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture with fingers until the mixture resembles the consistency of fine breadcrumbs and there are no longer any chunks of butter left.
- Add grated cheese to the bowl.
- Slowly add milk little by little and mix quickly with a knife until the mixture resembles a soft dough. Sometimes you will need a little more or less of the milk to get this consistency.
- Kneed the dough a few times
- Line an oven tray with baking powder.
- Press scone dough down on oven tray and cut into 12 evenly sized pieces. Leave around 2 cm between each scone.
- Brush the top of each scone with milk.
- Grate some cheese on top of each scone.
- Bake at 220 degrees Celsius for around 10 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.