I really enjoy making pulled pork with a slow cooker. It is very simple to make and I can leave it in the slow cooker and come home from work and it is basically ready. Plus pork is such good value for money I can generally get a cut of meat from Gilmours from around $5-$7+GST a kilogram.
- 1.5-2kg boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons of smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 250ml of apple juice
- Combine the smoked paprika, fennel seeds, ground coriander, oregano, thyme, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and rub this on the pork shoulder. Refridgerate uncovered overnight.
- In the morning pour the apple juice into the slow cooker and place the pork shoulder in the juice. The apple juice should be 2 cm around the pork.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low in the slow cooker.
- After cooking remove the pork and pull it apart with two forks.
- Remove the liquid from the slow cooker and skim off the fat.
- Optionally you can add around 1/2 a cup of tomato sauce to the liquid in a saucepan and then simmer until thick. However, at the moment I like just combining the liquid with the pork without adding the tomato sauce (only because I am trying to reduce my carbohydrate intake).
- Serve with coleslaw.